Pre-Physical Therapy Accelerated Program
The Divisions of Physical therapy and Mathematics and Sciences at Walsh University offers this option to a limited number of well-qualified students to finish their baccalaureate degree in biology after completing the first year of the graduate level PT education program. Formal enrollment to this program occurs in two ways: Track I and Track II. The Accelerated program was designed to facilitate your undergraduate degree in Biology/Pre-PT in three years. As you know, you need to complete certain coursework in the first three years of your undergraduate work, apply to the graduate program in Physical Therapy during your junior year, and meet all the established requirements for acceptance into the graduate program. You would receive your undergraduate degree in Biology upon completion of the first year of coursework in the graduate program pending acceptance into the physical therapy program.
This track offers enrollment as an incoming freshman, during the beginning of the fall semester. Prospective freshman applicants must meet two of the following three academic criteria:
- High school GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Minimum ACT score of 27 or SAT score of 1100 (critical reading and math, not including writing)
- Graduate in the top 10% of their high school class
To apply for the program, freshman applicants must:
- Complete an accelerated degree program application form which is available on the Q drive, through your PT advisor, or admissions counselors
- Submit a formal writing sample
- Letter of recommendations (1-2)
Applicants accepted into the accelerated program are also provisionally accepted into the physical therapy program. Conditions of provisional acceptance include completion of prerequisite courses with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher; completion of all courses taken over the first six semesters and those taken during summer sessions at a 3.0 GPA or higher; and completion of all other admission requirements (except bachelors degree) by the time the student enrolls in the first semester of the PT education program.
This track offers enrollment to Walsh students after their freshman year and who have been able to complete the college level coursework with a minimum GPA requirement. Prospective applicants must meet two of the following three academic criteria:
- Must have two of the following three high school academic criteria:
1. High school GPA of 3.5 or higher
2. Minimum ACT score of 27 or SAT score of 1100
3. Graduated in the top 10% of their high school class
- Complete a minimum of 32 semester hours with a minimum GPA of 3.30,
- Complete BIO 101 and 102, CHEM 101 and 102, MATH requirement, and PSYCH 120 (formerly PSYCH 101)
- Submit an accelerated degree program application, writing sample, and official transcript to pre-PT accelerated degree program director.
- Interview with science and PT faculty members
To participate in the accelerated degree option and complete major and all core requirements in their first three years, students must pursue a biology degree as an undergraduate. If you are accepted into this program your final year of your undergraduate major will serve as your first year in graduate school. You will take 20 credit hours of graduate-level, first-year science coursework during the first year of physical therapy curriculum that will apply toward the undergraduate degree major as elective course work.
Accelerated degree option students must complete a minimum of 110 undergraduate credits prior to entering in the professional graduate level program. (This is the equivalent of 16 -17 credits per term for 6 terms and up to 12 credits taken over two summers.)
Annual applications will be accepted from August 1 to November 30.