What is Accounting?
Nearly every business needs an accountant, and the field of accounting needs critical thinkers who can analyze, manage and communicate information about fiscal assets.
Accountants keep track of, document and summarize financial activities for individuals or businesses. Job responsibilities may include preparing income statements, balance sheets, cost studies and tax returns to advise clients on accounting issues or tax problems.
What type of career can I look forward to with an Accounting degree?
Career prospects for accountants range from working within public or governmental agencies to corporate or non-profit business to private firms.
Some specific accounting career opportunities include:
- Information Systems
- Management Accounting
- Public Accounting
- Internal Auditing
- Tax Preparation and Planning
- Management Consulting
- Credit Management
- Payroll Management
- Treasury Management
- Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Non-profit Accounting
- Government Accounting
What makes Walsh's Accounting major unique?
- Hands-on experience.We take education out of the classroom and into the professional world by placing our third and fourth year accounting major students in actual business settings for experiential learning and internships.
- Business understanding.Our students learn basic business processes and the impact of accounting on an organization's profitability and sustainability.
- Responsible best-practices.The importance of ethical, social, moral and personal responsibility is integrated throughout the coursework. It's embedded in our classrooms and within our experiential learning activities.
- Global perspective.We delve into the impact the global environment has on the accounting field. Our courses impart knowledge about how accounting practices differ in other countries and cultures.
- Integrated Curriculum. We established principles for each major, and these become themes that are carried out and reiterated through the accounting curriculum and any experiential experiences. It's part of our effort to help students retain what they're learning and to offer them a foundation to draw upon throughout their collegiate career and beyond.
Generally speaking, what courses will I need to take?
All Accounting majors, like other business majors, need to take a required core group of business classes, including finance, general management, marketing and information management and analysis. Additional accounting-related courses include:
- Intermediate Accounting
- Managerial Accounting
- Advanced Accounting
What experiential learning or internship opportunities are available with this major?
Does Walsh's program prepare students for the CPA Exam?
Yes. Walsh offers a CPA Readiness Program for interested students.
Whom can I contact for more information about Walsh's accounting degrees?
Mary Ann Sponseller, Accounting Program Coordinator