This Event Has Concluded. Search Our Current Events
Alumni Legacy Trip to Alfred and Portland, Maine
Sep. 13, 2014 - Sep. 16, 2014
Event Time: All Day
Alumni and friends are invited to come see where it all began with this historic trip to Alfred, Maine, and learn about La Mennais College, the predecession of what we now know as Walsh University. Hear about the origin of Walsh University from the Brothers of Christian Instruction who still reside on the original campus today. Don't miss this opportunity to explore the rich history of the Brothers who founded our distinguished institution and the beautiful surrounding areas of Portland and Kennebunkport, Maine.
Saturday, September 13, 2014
Arrive in Portland, Maine, and check in at the Westin Portland Harborview Hotel
- 5:00 p.m. Cocktails at Top of the East rooftop bar at the Westin Portland Harborview Hotel with a fabulous panoramic view of Back Bay, Portland Harbor and the White Mountains
- 6:00 p.m. Dinner with the Brothers of Christian Instruction at the Westin Portland Harborview Hotel
- 7:00 p.m. Presentation at the hotel on the history of the Brothers of Christian Instruction and Walsh University
Sunday, September 14, 2014
- 8:00 a.m. Mass at Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
- 9:30 a.m. Brunch at Five Fifty-Five restaurant
- 11:30 a.m. 105-minute trolley tour of Portland's history, architecture and landmarks, including a stop at Portland Head Light. This is followed by a 90-minute cruise with beautiful views of Casco Bay's famous lighthouses, lobster boats, seals, seabirds and more. The group will have free time to explore Portland and take in the city views and attractions.
- 6:00 p.m. Lobster dinner at DiMillo on the Water, shuttle available (alcohol not included)
Monday, September 15, 2014
- 7:00 a.m. Breakfast scheduled with the group
- 8:00 a.m. Depart for "A Day with the Brothers in Alfred"
- 9:00 a.m. Meet in the Spiritual Center. We will take a walking tour of the Brothers' property which will include the Shrines, Shaker Cemetery, Brothers Cemetery, Bakery, Sugar House and the Historical Shaker buildings. (1.5 hours)
- 11:30 a.m. Mass with the Brothers
- 12:00 p.m. Lunch with the Brothers
- 1:30 p.m. Guided wagon tour of the orchards and a stop at the apple store (45 minutes to 1 hour)
- 2:30 p.m. Tour of the Historical Shaker Museum (1 hour)
- 3:30 p.m. Depart for Portland
Dinner will be on your own with time to relax and explore Portland. The Westin is within walking distance of many restaurants, shops and many great attractions.
Tuesday, September 16, 2014
- 7:30 a.m. Breakfast on your own
- 8:30 a.m. Depart for Kennebunkport. There will be time to explore this truly extrodinary and quaint city and enjoy lunch on your own.
- 2:00 p.m. Transportation back to the Westin Portland Harborview Hotel
- 3:00 p.m. Depart for airport for those leaving
The Westin Portland Harborview Hotel
157 High Street, Portland, Maine 04101 • phone: 207.775.5411 • fax: 207.775.0106
Less than four miles from the airport, and within walking distance to more than 100 restaurants, shops, museums, and sightseeing destinations, The Westin Portland Harborview will be sure to provide guests with the charm, history and flavor of beautiful Portland, Maine. The Westin offers completely renovated guest rooms, high speed internet, and dual-line cordless phones with data port. Additional amenities include a refrigerator, large work desk with ergonomic chair, in-room safe and gourmet coffee. The Akari West Spa, concierge service, state of the art business center, and valet service are various extras provided. The Top of the East, Portland's only roof top lounge, is the perfect spot for our group to meet and socialize before dinner with the Brothers on the first evening in Portland.
$1250 individual or $1650 a couple
The trip is limited to the first 24, so reserve early!
Each guest will receive a commemorative sweatshirt.
Reservations can be made by contacting Lucia Cirese at 330.244.4752 or email@example.com.View All Alumni Events