Master's in Counseling
Developing Empowered, Conscientious Professionals
A Foundation for Caring
Walsh University's counseling graduate program, leading to Master of Arts in Counseling and Human Development, is committed to developing conscientious, professionally skilled counselors who are responsive to the needs and individual differences of all people. Our students are led by seasoned educators and active practitioners, offering students focused clinical education and experiential training with a case-oriented learning approach. A master's degree currently is available in Counseling and Human Development with a Clinical Mental Health Counseling Specialization, School Counseling Specialization or Student Affairs in Higher Education Specialization.
Our core curriculum is designed such that students have the ability to complete counseling master's degree requirements for both the mental health counseling and school counseling tracks with relative ease. These tracks have a foundation curriculum in theory, human behavioral research, and practical skills training.
Media Course Delivery
The CHD program does not offer online courses. Many CHD courses have online course activities and at least one course is offered in a hybrid format with both online and on-campus modules.
The Walsh Advantage
- Experienced faculty and small classes assure individual attention and encourage active participation.
- Clinical Mental Health and School Counseling specializations are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Relation Educational Programs (CACREP).
- Several courses are available in an accelerated 8-week format to give students an opportunity to increase the pace of their degree path.
- Walsh features a high-tech, on-site counseling center that where mental health counseling students see clients from the Northeast Ohio community, gaining critical hands-on learning opportunities while also serving the Walsh mission of service to others.
- Students have the opportunity to gain international experience in Uganda while earning elective credits.
- Premier tuition discount provides a 25% discount to graduate students enrolled in Walsh’s Counseling and Human Development programs. (Eligibility is based upon a weighted combination of factors including financial need and academic record. To apply for the discount, students must obtain an enrollment form from the Student Service Center.)
The CHD Peer Mentoring Program provides an opportunity for students beginning the program to be paired with students farther along in the program.
- Offers growth and learning to both the mentees and the mentors in a collaborative working relationship that allows new graduate students to become better able to plan, implement, evaluate, and enhance their education/experience in the counseling program.
- Offers opportunities for one-on-one meetings with a mentor or large group social activities to promote camaraderie and support.
- Open to all students. Mentees are encouraged to become mentors as they continue through the program.
- Faculty advisor: Carrie VanMeter, PhD.
For further information on Walsh's master's degree in Counseling and Human Development, please contact:
Director, Graduate Admissions
In addition, Dr. Linda Barclay will gladly answer questions about the school counseling program or mental health counseling program. She may be reached at email@example.com or (330) 490-7264.
Ranked in the Top 25 Most Affordable, Accredited Graduate Degree Programs in Counseling and Psychology in the Midwest 2014