Pre-Occupational Therapy Psychology Major
What does Walsh's Pre-Occupational Therapy program entail?
Students interested in a career as an Occupational Therapist major in psychology, with the intent to pursue a Master's Degree in Occupational Therapy. This pre-professional major offers a strong background in behaviorally based techniques for interacting with clients and a solid foundation in coursework for graduate studies.
What type of career can I look forward to with an Occupational Therapy (OT) degree?
Undergraduate preparation through the psychology major prepares students for graduate OT programs. Our graduates work with clients to help them manage activities of daily living and overcome psychological impediments to achieve a satisfying life.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (June 26, 2012), job growth over the next ten years is projected to be 33% for Occupational Therapists – much faster than other occupations. Traditionally, licensed Occupational Therapists have been in high demand in Northeast Ohio.
What makes Walsh's Pre-Occupational Therapy program unique?
- Diverse Coursework. This major emphasizes core skills while engaging students in psychology and science coursework.
- Experienced Faculty. Our professors hold the doctorate degree and are competent researchers and practitioners.
- State of the Art Facilities. Walsh University houses laboratories equipped with the latest technologies giving our students "hands-on" experience with instruments and tools used in the field.
- Master's of Science in Occupational Therapy. Walsh University expects to offer a graduate program for eligible students to pursue a Master's of Science in Occupational Therapy. Proposed first cohort class is fall 2014.
Generally speaking, what courses will I need to take?
Pre-Occupational Therapy programs require students to take a solid core of psychology, math and science courses including:
- Human Development Across the Lifespan
- Principles of Sociology
- Statistics for Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Principles of Biology
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy and Physiology
Our coursework meets prerequisites for Walsh University's Master's of Science in Occupational Therapy.
What experiential learning or internship opportunities are available?
Psychology Pre-Occupational Therapy students gain real-world experience through internships.
Whom can I contact for more information?
Dr. Penny Bove, Professor of Sociology, Division Chair Social and Behavioral Sciences