What does Walsh's Research Psychology major entail?
Research Psychology is an ideal major for students not interested in a licensed profession, but who may want graduate work in psychology or careers in colleges, universities, research centers, government or private businesses. If you enjoy studying human behavior or exploring theoretical problems, this major is for you.
What type of career can I look forward to with a Research Psychology degree?
Students who study research psychology work in a variety of occupations. Applied specialty areas have a strong research focus.
- Experimental Psychologist – studies human and animal behavior. Focus areas include motivation, thought, attention, learning and memory, sensory and perceptual processes, effects of substance abuse and genetic and neurological factors affecting behavior.
- Industrial-Organizational Psychologist – works within organizations to help select and retain employees, increase productivity and identify potential workplace improvements.
- Military Research Psychologist - examines the effects of war on military personnel such as post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, aggression and drug use.
- Nutrition Research Psychologist - investigates the psychological effects of mood and emotions on eating habits.
- Market Research Analyst – studies market conditions to examine potential sales of products or services; to understand what products people want, will buy and at what price; and to ensure that program resources are used effectively.
According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook (2012-2013), overall employment is expected to grow 35-41% depending on the research psychology focus through 2020. Individuals with an applied specialty are expected to find the greatest job prospects.
What makes Walsh's research psychology major unique?
- Original Student Research. Students define a research problem, review literature, formulate a hypothesis, collect and analyze data and report the results.
- Examination of Personal and Social Issues. Through courses about gender, addictions, culture, human sexuality and child and adolescent development, students will gain an appreciation and understanding of multiple psychological issues.
- Experienced Faculty. Our professors hold the doctorate degree and are competent researchers and practitioners.
- PsyLab. Walsh University houses a psychology laboratory equipped with the latest technologies giving psychology students "hands-on" experience with instruments and tools used in the field.
Generally speaking, what courses will I need to take for a Research Psychology Degree?
Psychology students take courses such as:
- Cognitive Processes
- Experimental Psychology
- Statistics for Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Social Research Methods
- Social Psychology
- Cognitive Neuropsychology
What experiential learning or internship opportunities are available with a Research Psychology major?
Psychology Research students gain real-world experience through the creation and completion of a senior-year research project.
Who can I contact for more information about Walsh University's Psychology Programs?
Dr. Penny Bove, Chair of Social and Behavioral Sciences
Phone: (330) 490-7257