SL Course Designation
For a course to receive an "SL" designation, the service learning experience must:
- Enhance the course learning outcomes through application of course content.
- Be clearly outlined in the course syllabus and be an expressed goal in at least one learning outcome.
- Involve experience with a community-based organization* during which the students work to meet a need(s) identified by the community organization.
- Involve at least 10 hours of service experience for a 3 credit hour course.
- Involve continuous, challenging, connected, and contextualized reflection on the experience and learning (pre-service, during service, and post-service).
*A community-based organization is defined as:
- Non-Profit Agencies (shelters, food banks, advocacy groups)
- Educational Institutions (schools, daycare centers, correctional facilities)
- Groups of people who share a common identity related to culture, economics, religion, age, health, etc. (churches, youth programs)
- For-Profit Agencies only when the primary purpose is providing a significant public service (hospitals, nursing homes)
Please refer to the service learning course designation form and contact Christy Burke Walkuski, firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions!