Walsh Launches Renacci Government Scholars Program
What's New, 2013-10-11
Walsh University is pleased to announce the launch of the James B. Renacci Government Scholars Program. This unique scholarship and leadership program is designed to encourage the next generation of Americans to pursue a career in public service and is made possible through a personal gift from James Renacci.
As the first person in his family to graduate from college, Congressman Renacci values higher education. "For me, this is an opportunity to support the next generation of government leaders by helping to provide scholarships for academics and internships." Renacci, who is currently serving his second term representing the 16th Congressional District of Ohio, says he identifies deeply with the mission of Walsh University to educate leaders in service to others through a values-based education with an international perspective in the Judeo-Christian tradition. "I appreciate how the mission of Walsh and my Catholic faith intersect. The mission of Walsh empowers students to become leaders in service to the world," Renacci said.
Through this program, the student's within the Walsh University Government and Foreign Affairs major can apply for a scholarship for an internship or academics. For many students, the cost of pursuing internships can often be prohibitive. The funds from the Renacci Government Scholars program enables students to intern as public servants while residing in Washington D.C., or in a state capitol city—experiences they might not otherwise be able to afford.
For many young people, leaders such as Congressman James Renacci serve as a model of the importance of giving back to our community through service to the common good. "Engaging in government service requires a passion for serving the people and by understanding the role of government through internships and academics students can become involved and serve locally like I did," Congressman Renacci said.
The program will help to fund several initiatives within the Walsh University Government and Foreign Affairs major:
- Scholarship funds for 2 students per year. One scholarship will help underwrite a student internship in the area of Government and Foreign Affairs. The other fund will help underwrite tuition for a student enabling the student to focus on their coursework.
- Each year, the endowed program will feature two keynote presentations, one from a leader in Government and Foreign Affairs and the second from a leading government and foreign affairs scholar.
- In addition, the Renacci Government Scholars Program will sponsor the "All Politics is Local" conference offering any higher education student an opportunity to present original papers regarding domestic, international and philosophic areas of political science and international relations
- Each year, the Government and Foreign Affairs program hosts the Washington D.C. Experience trip where students meet with leaders in government, Walsh alumni, and engage in international and domestic policy briefings.
- Finally, the Congressional papers and archives of Congressman James Renacci will be housed at Walsh University.