Accounting is the discipline focused on the analysis, reporting and communication of financial information for individuals and businesses. Nearly every business needs an accountant, and the field of accounting is comprised of critical thinkers focused on the financial aspects of economic entities. Pursuing your bachelor's degree with a concentration in Accounting will provide opportunities for employment within public accounting, corporate accounting, government and non-profit businesses.
What makes Walsh's Accounting major unique?
- Integrated Curriculum: Students will take an array of accounting courses focused on accountancy theory, financial reporting, management accounting, taxation laws, auditing and internal controls.
- Responsible Best Practices: Ethical, social, moral and personal responsibilities are integrated throughout the coursework and embedded in students' classroom and experiential learning activities.
- Global Awareness: Walsh's curriculum is taught with an emphasis on global perspective, and faculty delve into the impact of the global environment on the accounting field.
- Hands-On Learning. Experiential learning is thread throughout the Accounting curriculum. One example is the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, through which Advanced Accounting students partner with United Way of Stark County to provide free tax preparation services to low and moderate income taxpayers.
Does Walsh's Accounting program prepare students for the CPA Exam?
Yes. Students interested in sitting for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) examination may enroll in the CPA Readiness Program.
What type of career can I look forward with an Accounting concentration?
Career prospects for accountants range from working within public or governmental agencies to corporate or non-profit business to private firms. Walsh graduates have a high success rate of finding employment at top firms including Diebold, Smucker's, Ernst & Young and more.
Some specific accounting career opportunities include:
- Public Accounting
- Tax Preparation and Planning
- Management Accounting
- Internal Auditing
- Management Consulting
- Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Treasury Management
- Information SystemsPayroll Management
- Credit Management
- Forensic Accounting
- Government Accounting
- Non-Profit Accounting