BA/MA Counseling Program
Walsh University's B.A./M.A. Counseling & Human Development program provides the best preparation for students who want to pursue counseling careers. Our program combines a B.A. in Behavioral Sciences and a M.A. in Counseling and Human Development that students can complete in six years, right here at Walsh University.
The BA/MA Program provides the best preparation for students who wish to pursue mental health counseling careers. The program is designed to train counselors who will strive to assist others to make a difference in their lives.
To accomplish this, the program focuses on four broad goals:
- Promotes within each student greater self-awareness, a concern for others and a respect for the uniqueness and dignity of each person
- Teaches skills related to research, such as conducting research, critically assessing others' research, and communicating effectively in both oral and written forms
- Educates students to understand both the scientific and humanistic perspectives in behavioral science and to apply this knowledge to counseling practice
- Cultivates in students the desire to develop an ethical professional identity.
Thomas Krainz '18
Don’t underestimate the potential of a liberal arts education. You will never meet so many scholars with such a diversity of interests than at a liberal arts university like Walsh.
Integration of B.A. and M.A. Classes. This degree combines undergraduate psychology and sociology courses with a graduate professional-counselor education.
- Streamlined Completion. Within six years, a student can complete both their bachelor's and master's degrees.
- Meets Counselor Licensure Requirements. Our program meets educational requirements for counselor licensure in Ohio and many other states.
- Strong Practitioner Focus. Case-oriented learning opportunities.
- Emphasizes Practical "Hands-On" Training. Lab training and internships offer experiential learning that gives students practical knowledge that's appealing to future employers.
- Offers a Competitive Edge. Students have increased opportunity for employment and career advancement.
- Solid Foundation for Doctoral Studies. After completing our streamlined program, students are well-prepared to move on toward an even higher level of education.