Exercise Science Degree
Exercise Science has quickly become one of Walsh University's most popular majors. With its foundation of coursework in Biology, Chemistry, Physical Education and Clinical Sciences, an exercise science degree can lead to careers in areas such as coaching, personal training and exercise physiology. With additional education, exercise majors can also go on to work in physical education, chiropractic care, and other medical fields.
Exercise Science majors can choose from four options:
- Exercise Science - Pre-Athletic Training: For students interested in graduate school or pursuing a training career for high schools, colleges, outpatient clinics and hospitals
- Exercise Science - Pre-Professional: For students interested in continuing on to graduate school or pursuing a career in areas such as physician assistant, pharmacist, chiropractic, medical, cardiac rehabilitation, etc.
- Exercise Science - Pre-Occupational Therapy: For students who intend to pursue a master's degree in Occupational Therapy
- Exercise Science - Pre-Physical Therapy: For students who intend to pursue a graduate degree in Physical Therapy
Austin Kennedy - Class of 2015
Majors: Exercise Science and Occupational Therapy
Knowing that you mattered and knowing that at the end of the day the professors actually cared about you as an individual, and not just your grade, was something that really made a difference.
Daniel Gil - Class of 2020
Major: Exercise Science
Minors: Sociology and Forensic Studies
At the end of my junior year in high school, my youth minister gave me a copy of the Newman Guide, because he knew I was looking for a Catholic college. As I was flipping through the pages, I saw Walsh and found out that they had just added an Exercise Science major, which I was interested in. I filled out the early application and was really excited to come and play football, as the coaches had reached out to recruit me.
- Faculty with Experience. Each of our Ph.D. Biology faculty members specialize in their areas of expertise. They are excellent teachers and competent researchers.
- Diverse Course Offering. Students can select from two tracks – one for career preparation and the other to prepare students for graduate school.
- State-of-the-Art Facilities. Walsh houses laboratories equipped with the latest technologies, giving our students a chance to work with the instruments and tools used in the field.
- Experiential Learning. Walsh emphasizes internship and research experiences to prepare students for their next step after graduation.
Because Walsh offers graduate programs in both occupational therapy and physical therapy, students interested in pursuing an advanced degree in either area may choose to apply to continue their education through Walsh's Master of Occupational Therapy or Doctor of Physical Therapy programs.