Information for Faculty
Service Learning Courses
Walsh University faculty members can benefit in a variety of ways from teaching a service learning course. Service learning can help faculty enhance teaching, build stronger relationships with students, broaden topics for research, and demonstrate commitment to the community.
For a course to receive an "SL" designation, the service learning experience must:
- Enhance the course learning outcomes through application of course content.
- Be clearly outlined in the course syllabus and be an expressed goal in at least one learning outcome.
- Involve experience with a community-based organization* during which the students work to meet a need(s) identified by the community organization.
- Involve at least 10 hours of service experience for a 3 credit hour course.
- Involve continuous, challenging, connected, and contextualized reflection on the experience and learning (pre-service, during service, and post-service).
To propose a Service Learning designation, submit this Service Learning Course Designation form and return it to the Director of Service Learning.
The Office of Service Learning can provide support to interested faculty through project consultation, community site development, class workshops (Service Learning orientation, pre-service activities, or reflection activities), and other resources.
Service Learning Course Funding
Service Learning faculty may apply for funding from the Office of Service Learning for course projects, programs, or resources. These small grants are designed to support faculty or assist students in the development and implementation of a project which aligns with the course and benefits the community.
Funding will be determined based on the budget each year and on following criteria:
- How the project/program aligns with the mission or vision of the Office of Service Learning (enhancing learning and benefiting the community)
- How innovative and creative the project/program is
- How the money will be spent
- How many students are involved
To apply for funding for a Service Learning course, submit this Service Learning Funding Application form to the Director of Service Learning by the 3rd Friday of classes of the semester. All applications received after that date will be considered on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Service Learning Faculty Fellow
The Service Learning Faculty Fellow is a 1-2 year position meant to support the Office of Service Learning in Service Learning and Community Engagement faculty development. In collaboration with the Director of Career and Experiential Education and the Service Learning Coordinator, the SL Faculty Fellow will develop programming to equip and support faculty in their Community Engagement efforts to strive for better, more meaningful Service Learning experiences for all students.
The 2018-2019 Service Learning Faculty Fellow is Dr. Henrique Alvim.
Contact the Director of Service Learning for access to the ECN site, which hosts resources such as sample syllabi, rubrics, reflections, articles, community partner profiles, and more.