Jump to page contentFuture Student?

Residence Life Frequently Asked Questions

 Am I required to live on campus?All single, full time students are required to live in the residence halls unless permission to live off campus has been granted by the University Housing Review Board. Permission will be granted if a student qualifies under one or more of the following exemptions:

  • The student is 23 years of age or older.
  • The student is living with parent(s) or legal guardians(s) and commuting to school. The parent(s) or legal guardian(s) must live within a 50-mile radius of campus.
  • The student is married and/or has a dependent child(ren) that he/she supports and lives with him/her.
  • The student has lived in a group residential setting for more than eight semesters (excluding summer housing sessions).
  • The student served and/or is discharged from the Armed Forces.

Can I break my housing contract?All entering students, of traditional age, need to declare their status as a resident or commuter by completing the New Student Residency Status Form sent by the Office of Admissions. Commuting is defined as living exclusively in the permanent and primary residence of a parent or legal guardian.Once a student establishes his/her status as a resident, he/she must seek approval for a change of status to commuter. Formal requests can be made through the Office of Residence Life for consideration by the Housing Review Board.University Housing Contracts are binding for the entire academic year effective the moment you accept the terms. A request from a student to be released from the housing contract must be submitted by completing a "University Housing Request for Release" form. Only cases of demonstrated hardship that have occurred since the signing of the Walsh University Housing Contract will be considered. The decisions made by the Housing Review Board are fully supported by this University and are not eligible for appeal. If your petition is denied you are not eligible to petition again until the following academic year.How are the Residence Halls staffed?In addition to the Professional Staff member that lives in each building, each residence hall is staffed by trained upperclassman students who are available to assist you in understanding residence hall policy and procedures, becoming involved in programs and activities, and adjusting to college life. The Resident Assistant (R.A.) seeks to develop and build academic, personal, and social growth among the students living on each residence hall floor. Your RA is a guide who works to create community within the halls. RAs provide duty coverage each evening to assist students, check for safety and security hazards, and enforce University policies.How are housing assignments made?All first-year students will be assigned a housing placement based on the date of the student's housing deposit. The earlier a student deposits for housing, the more likely he/she will receive desired housing preferences.Alexis & Menard Two-Person AccommodationAlexis & Menard Hall Standard Double Room. Students assigned to these placements will be charged the standard housing rate for Alexis/Menard.Alexis & Menard Three-Person AccommodationIn order to ensure an adequate number of bed spaces for all incoming students who desire on-campus housing for the fall semester, the University will assign a necessary portion of first-year students to three-person accommodations based upon the date of their housing deposit.Three-Person Accommodations are Alexis/Menard Standard Double Rooms with three students assigned to the space. Students assigned to a Three-Person Accommodation will be charged the standard housing rate for Alexis/Menard, but will receive a housing rebate based upon the number of days assigned to the placement.Other First-Year AccommodationsSome first-year students may be assigned to upperclassman housing (based upon room availability in Alexis & Menard Halls). Students assigned to these rooms will be charged the housing rate for that residence hall.How are roommates assigned?All students living in double and triple rooms will be assigned roommate(s), so it is essential that you fill out the lifestyle preferences section of your housing application completely and accurately.The Office of Residence Life cannot guarantee your roommate or suitemate selection. In order for roommate requests to be considered, the request must be mutual between both roommates. All roommate requests must be received no later than July 1st. Students can complete a "Roommate Request Card" during Summer Orientation, or email us at reslife@walsh.edu. Please include your full name and the full name of the person you are requesting.In your housing assignment letter, you will receive contact information for your roommate. Be sure to contact your roommate(s) and talk early about what items each of you will bring for your room. If you live close to one another, you may want to consider meeting before the beginning of the academic semester so you have an opportunity to get to know one another before the hectic pace of move-in and opening weekend.For information about Room Assignments, please contact Ben Daleiden, Coordinator of University Housing Placement, at (330) 490-7107 or bdaleiden@walsh.edu.