Middle Childhood Education Generalist Endorsement
For Current Undergraduate or LEAD Middle Childhood Teacher Candidates
Walsh University offers both the Ohio Graduate and Undergraduate Middle Childhood Generalist Endorsement. In Ohio, Middle Childhood teachers are licensed to teach in two content areas across grades four through nine. The State Board of Education passed a resolution creating additional endorsements for Middle Childhood Education candidates in response to requests from school administrators to meet grades four-six content area staffing needs.
If you are a current teacher candidate in Middle Childhood Education, you may complete the Middle Childhood Generalist course requirements while completing the Middle Childhood Education (MCE) teacher preparation program. You will be able to apply for the endorsement along with your initial license.
You will need to meet the following requirements in order to receive the Ohio MCE Generalist Endorsement:
- Hold a valid Ohio Middle Childhood Education License;
- Complete the following courses for each content area to be added as an endorsement
- Pass the required Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE) content assessment for each content area to be added as an endorsement
- Complete the Ohio Department of Education endorsement application process.
The Walsh University Placement and Licensure Office can assist you with questions about the Ohio Assessment for Educators and the endorsement application process. Call 330-490-7378 or 330-490-4928, or stop by the office in Hannon Center 110.
Required Courses for Middle Childhood Generalist Endorsements in each Content Area:
LANGUAGE ARTS GRADES 4-6 GENERALIST ENDORSEMENT:
- ENG 230: Literacy: Form and Function
- ENG 330: Adolescent and Young Adult Literature
MATHEMATICS GRADES 4-6 GENERALIST ENDORSEMENT:
- MATH 107: Mathematics I for Educators I
- MATH 108: Mathematics II for Educators
SCIENCE GRADES 4-6 GENERALIST ENDORSEMENT:
- BIO101: Principles of Biology
- NS104: Physical Science
SOCIAL STUDIES GRADES 4-6 GENERALIST ENDORSEMENT:
- GFA 103: American Government
- HIST 220: Ohio History