Financial Aid for Returning Students
Instructions for Applying for Financial Aid at Walsh University for the 2020-21 Award Year
Completing the FAFSA
All students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year to apply for Federal and State financial aid. You may access the FAFSA application online at (FAFSA on the Web) (see below for information regarding your FSA ID). This site is for both initial and renewal applications.
FAFSA results will automatically be forwarded to Walsh University by the federal government as long as our school code (003135) is listed. Many funds are awarded on a first-come/first-served basis. Returning students must meet the December 6, 2019 priority deadline to be considered for all financial aid.
THE WALSH APPLICATION FOR FINANCIAL AID
Please read and respond to all requested information on The Walsh University Application for Financial Aid and return it to The Student Service Center. This in-house application is available through the file gallery on the main Financial Aid homepage. Returning students must meet the December 6, 2019 priority deadline to be considered for all financial aid.
Applying for State Aid
You will automatically apply for grants through the state of Ohio by completing the FAFSA. You (and your parents, if dependent) must be an Ohio resident and demonstrate financial need to be eligible for these grants.
The deadline to file the 2020-2021 FAFSA and be considered for state grants through the state of Ohio is September 30, 2020. For students from Pennsylvania, the deadline to complete the FAFSA is May 1, 2020 to be considered for its grant program.
Applying for Institutional Scholarships
With the exception of the Presidential Scholarship, consideration for any scholarships provided by Walsh University is done automatically at the time the student's academic file is reviewed for admission.
Applying for Private Scholarships
Two online search engines for outside scholarships are: studentaid.ed.gov/scholarships and www.fastweb.com. These sites allow you to research thousands of potential scholarship sources throughout the country.
Please Note: We do not recommend that students seek the help of private companies for scholarship searches. These companies prove to be costly and do not produce greater results than searching on your own.
After filing your FAFSA, you may be notified that you have been chosen for a process called Verification. If you are selected for Verification, you will be required to submit a copy of your/your spouse's tax return transcript, a copy of your parents' tax return transcript (if a dependent student) and a Verification Worksheet. These forms will be requested at a later date if needed and are NOT to be submitted with your FAFSA.
Tips on Completing the FAFSA
- Apply as early as possible. The 2020-2021 FAFSA will become available on October 1, 2019.
- Be sure to list Walsh University as the school to which you want your financial aid information sent. Walsh's school code is 003135.
- The 2020-2021 FAFSA will collect tax information from the ‘prior-prior’ tax year, meaning 2018. Since these taxes should already be filed, you will be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA to import your tax information directly from the IRS onto your application. This will reduce the amount of paperwork needed from the Financial Aid Office.
About Student FSA IDs
As of Spring 2015, it was necessary for both you and your parent (s) to have an FSA ID (the FSA ID replaces your previously established PIN). If you have not already applied for an FSA ID, you may do so at www.fsaid.ed.gov. Having an FSA ID will not only serve as your electronic signature, but will also give you access to your completed FAFSA in case you need to make corrections.
An Overview of the Financial Aid Process
- Student submits their FAFSA online. The student then submits the Walsh Application for Financial Aid to the Student Service Center at Walsh University.
- The student will then receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) electronically. The SAR is a summary of the FAFSA application. This form is to be kept by the student for his/her records. If corrections to the SAR need to be made, the student may contact Walsh’s Student Service Center.
- The Financial Aid Office will also receive an electronic copy of the student’s FAFSA results. A Financial Aid Award Notification will be posted on the Cavalier Center for students who have been officially admitted to Walsh University.
- Assuming the student's financial aid file is complete, financial aid is credited to the student's account at the beginning of each term. If there is a credit remaining after the student's charges have been paid, the student is issued a refund for that amount. If there is still a balance due after all financial aid has been applied, then the student is responsible for that remaining balance. (Payment options for any remaining balance are available.)