STAR Chemistry Program
Interested in chemistry?
Walsh University is looking for students interested in chemistry to apply for the STAR Chemistry Program: Inspiring, Educating and Preparing Young Science Talent for an American Ready Workforce! The STAR program at Walsh University is a National Science Foundation supported program designed to foster young science talent and prepare chemistry majors for the workforce. Our Division of Mathematics and Sciences has developed a model curriculum that will prepare you to either directly enter the workforce or pursue an advanced degree in a science related field.
STAR Scholars are trained in:
- Environmental Chemistry
- Materials and Polymer Chemistry
- Fuel and Energy Chemistry
Walsh has established partnerships with companies throughout Northeast Ohio in these high demand fields. As a scholar in the program you will develop critical thinking and problem solving skills while applying foundational chemistry knowledge to practical problems within the chosen focus areas.
Who should consider it?
Students who are curious, innovative, intelligent and want to become lifelong learners. Chemistry majors apply the knowledge from an undergraduate degree to a variety of career activities, or they can use it as a building block to earning graduate and medical degrees.
What can you do with a degree in chemistry?
When our Chemistry students graduate, they are prepared to:
- Join the workforce. Our graduates are able to obtain jobs in research and development, quality control and assurance, environmental analysis, medical device sales, and pharmaceutical sales.
- Enter graduate programs, to earn a Master of Science or a Ph.D. in Chemistry or related fields, such as biochemistry, environmental science, materials science, polymer science and more.
- Enroll in professional schools for ongoing training in medicine, pharmacy, dentistry and more.
Why choose Walsh University?
- Education from Experienced Professionals. Our instructors have significant experience within chemistry. They bring a real-world-applications background to their teaching within the chemistry field.
- Strong Research Focus. Our chemistry majors graduate with an ample amount laboratory research experience thanks to the required laboratory activities in our curriculum.
- Experiential Learning and Internships. Walsh students gain practical experience while participating in internships with our regional and national corporate partners.
- State-of-the-Art Facilities. Walsh's new St. John Paul II Center for Science Innovation facilitates student learning through state-of-the-art learning and research labs.
- Prepared Graduates. Upon earning a degree from Walsh, graduates are fully prepared to enter their careers or attend graduate school if they so choose.
- STAR Scholar Living Learning Community. Living Learning Communities (LLC) are designed to provide inclusive and vibrant experiences to augment academic and student life.