General FAQ

Do I have to apply for Financial Aid every year?

Yes, students need to submit a Walsh Application for Financial Aid and FAFSA (if applicable) to Walsh each year to be considered for financial aid. Financial Aid Renewal Information.

What is the typical financial aid offer?

Financial aid award packages vary depending on a student's completed FAFSA. Federal and State grants are on a need-based scale and eligibility will be determined by the family income. A majority of the academic scholarships available to students are directly correlated to the student's overall GPA and ACT or SAT test scores. For full-tuition scholarships and a few other scholarship opportunities, an interview will be required. For more information regarding all scholarship opportunities, please contact the Office of Admissions. More information about scholarships available at Walsh.

How much do I owe?

A student’s out-of-pocket cost can be calculated by subtracting financial aid from actual billed charges. Charges are billed a semester at a time, and Walsh University does not mail invoices. Always refer to the account statement on your Student Account Center for the most up-to-date information.

Scholarship FAQ

Are Athletic scholarships available?

Walsh is a member of NCAA Division II. Athletic scholarships vary in amounts and are determined by athletic coaches. All athletic scholarships are awarded in compliance with NCAA regulations.

Does Walsh accept outside scholarships or grants?

Walsh University will accept outside scholarships as long as the scholarships and grants do not exceed the student’s direct cost (tuition and general fees) of attending Walsh University. If a scholarship exceeds direct cost, then the financial aid office begins adjusting your offer by reducing the self-help portion (loans and federal work-study). If there are no loans or federal work-study to reduce, then a portion of your Walsh gift aid may be adjusted.

FAFSA/Verification FAQ

What is FAFSA and how to I apply?

Information obtained from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will determine what federal and state aid the student is eligible to receive. The information required to complete the FAFSA is based on both parent and student tax information. All of the universities listed on the FAFSA form will automatically receive the student's FAFSA results. Completing the FAFSA each year is required to apply for federal and state aid, including federal loans. File the FAFSA electronically and use your FSA ID to sign it. (Create or retrieve your FSA ID) Make sure to add Walsh University on the FAFSA by using our federal school code (003135). Federal school codes allow institutions to have electronic access to your FAFSA application data, in order to calculate your financial aid package.

I completed my FAFSA – what happens next?

Incoming freshmen/transfers: as long as you have been accepted and Walsh receives your FAFSA results, you will receive a financial aid package from us. Shortly thereafter, an Admissions Representative will contact the student to explain and discuss the student's aid.

All other students: once Walsh receives your FAFSA and Walsh Application for Financial Aid, you will be in line to be awarded. Once your financial aid package offer is completed, a notification will be emailed.

How do I know if I am dependent or independent for financial aid purposes?

If the FAFSA considers you a dependent student for financial aid purposes, then you must include your parental information on the FAFSA. Not being claimed on a parent’s tax return does not make a student independent. Additional information regarding dependency status.

What is verification and what is required?

Federal verification is a process which requires institutions to verify the accuracy of the information provided on a student's FAFSA in an effort to ensure that federal aid is distributed to those who are eligible. Most applications are randomly selected. After filing your FAFSA, you may be notified that you have been chosen for a process called Verification. If you are selected for Verification, you will be required to submit a copy of your/your spouse's tax return transcript, a copy of your parents' tax return transcript (if a dependent student) and a Verification Worksheet. These forms will be requested at a later date if needed and are NOT to be submitted with your FAFSA.

Federal Loan FAQ

What is the difference between a Direct Subsidized Loan and a Direct Unsubsidized Loan?

A subsidized loan is need-based and its interest is waived while you are enrolled at least part-time in college. An unsubsidized loan is not need-based and you are responsible for the interest from the time of disbursement. Additional information on subsidized and unsubsidized loans.

Private Loan FAQ

What is a Private/ Alternative Loan?

This loan is typically in the student’s name and will need a co-signer. Alternative Parent Loan options are also available. Visit ELMSelect page - Walsh to compare loans. Keep in mind to apply early, from time of application to money being applied to account is a federally mandated 10 business days.

Federal Work Study FAQ

What is work study and how do I qualify?

Federal Work Study aid is need-based and awarded according to the results of the FAFSA. The program is designed to assist students who are in need of employment to pursue their education. Work is performed on campus, and the student works approximately 5 hours per week at minimum wage depending upon the amount of his or her work-study award.

You should fill out the FAFSA as soon as possible because some aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Returning main campus undergraduate students must complete the Walsh Application for Financial Aid and FAFSA by the priority deadline of December 1st. Work-study is awarded based on availability of funds, the student’s need, and other financial aid eligibility.

What do I need to have on file before I begin work?

Students must have completed the required tax documents (an I-9 Form, a W-4 Form, State Tax Form 7048, Employee Withholding Exemption Certification), agreement authorization, and submitted approved forms of ID prior to receiving their certificate confirming their requirements have been met. Direct Deposit forms are also highly encouraged to be completed.

Do I have to accept work study if it is offered to me?

You do not have to accept Federal Work Study if it is on your financial aid offer – you can decline it. However, getting a work study job allows students to earn funds to apply towards their account balance or use for school-related or day-to-day living expenses. Declining work study for the year makes you ineligible to receive it for the remainder of that aid year. If you meet eligibility requirements for the next aid year, it will be reoffered.

How much will I be paid? How do I get paid?

Student jobs on campus pay Ohio’s minimum wage. Paychecks are issued on the 15th of each month. If you completed the direct deposit paperwork, your paycheck will be deposited directly into your personal bank account. Although your financial aid offer may contain a certain amount allocated for work-study, that does not mean you automatically receive those funds. The amount listed is your maximum eligibility to earn after obtaining a work-study job.

How do I find a work study job on campus?

It is the student’s responsibility to find campus employment. Incoming students are directed to report to Dining Services. Check the MyWalsh portal (click Resources > Campus Jobs) for job listings or directly contact a department of interest to you.

Can I work on campus if I am not offered work study?

Students without Federal Work Study as part of their financial aid offer may work on campus if the department has non-work study funds available for student employment. Students interested in these opportunities can utilize the Career Center or look under the Resources tab on the MyWalsh portal.