Residence Life Frequently Asked Questions

Facebook Google+ Twitter Linked In Email this page Print this page

Am I required to live on campus?

Walsh University ascribes to the belief that the university's residential experience can significantly contribute to a student’s overall collegiate experience. Residence Life strives to provide residential communities that focus on the living and learning experience that best prepares our students to make meaningful contributions that align with the University’s mission. In accordance with this belief, Walsh University requires all full-time, undergraduate students to live on campus for 8-semesters, unless permission to live off campus has been granted by the Housing Review Board.

Housing Requirement Exemptions
Student may request to be exempted from the University’s housing requirement by completing a Request for Release from Housing through the Residence Life office. Permission will be granted if a student qualifies under one or more of the following exemptions:

  • The student is 23 years of age or older.
  • The student is living with parent(s) or legal guardians(s) and commuting to school. The parent(s) or legal guardian(s) must live within a 50-mile radius of campus.
  • The student is married and/or has a dependent child(ren) that he/she supports and lives with him/her.
  • The student has lived in a group residential setting for more than eight semesters (excluding summer housing sessions).
  • The student served and/or is discharged from the Armed Forces.

Housing Requirement - Special Circumstance Exemptions
Permission to be released from the University’s housing requirement can also be applied for under a discretionary exemption which allows the University to consider special circumstances. The University reserves the right to grant off-campus privileges to students having special needs that occurred after the student has completed a housing contract for the upcoming academic year (e.g. special hardship, independent student per financial aid guidelines, family crisis, etc.). The decision is made according to the University’s discretion only. Regardless of the request, no request will be granted following the sixth business day of the fall academic semester. The decisions made by the Housing Review Board are fully supported by this University and are not eligible for appeal. If your petition is denied you are not eligible to petition again until the following academic year. 

Am I able to terminate my housing contract?

University Housing Contracts are binding for the entire academic year effective the moment you accept the terms. Entering students declare their status as a resident or commuter through the Office of Admissions. Commuting is defined as living exclusively in the permanent and primary residence of a parent or legal guardian. Once a student establishes his/her status as a resident, the student must seek approval for a change of status to commuter. Formal requests can be made through the Residence Life office and must be submitted by the sixth business day of the fall academic semester to receive a full refund on room and board.

Why do I have to submit a $200 housing deposit?

All incoming residential students applying to Walsh University will submit a $125 tuition deposit and a $200 housing refundable deposit. The $200 refundable housing deposit serves as a reservation for housing and dining services. The housing deposit is kept on file for the duration of semesters the student resides in the residence halls. *Incoming students that cancel their housing reservation after May 1st will not be refunded their $200 housing deposit.

How do I access my housing information?

Once your $200 housing deposit has been received, you will receive an email from Walsh University Residence Life providing log-in information to our online housing portal - Walsh Simple Campus Housing. Here you will be able to complete your housing application, communicate with the Residence Life office, and receive your housing assignment and meal plan information.

How are incoming residents assigned to university housing?

All incoming freshman students are assigned to a university housing based on the date their $200 housing deposit was received by Walsh University. The earlier a student deposits for housing, the more likely they will receive their desired housing preferences.

Where do freshman residential students live?

Freshman residential students are assigned to our traditional residence hall facilities - Alexis and Menard Halls. Alexis and Menard rooms are designed to accommodate up to three students. In some cases, freshman students may be assigned to other residence hall areas.

Where do transfer residential students live?

Transfer students that are of sophomore, junior, or senior status are placed according to their residence hall preferences on the housing application and available rooms. Residence Life makes every effort to place incoming transfer students according to their requests made on the housing application.

How do I select a roommate?

You can request a roommate by completing your housing application on the Walsh Simple Campus Housing portal. If you do not have a roommate in mind, we will match you with a roommate based upon the Personal Lifestyle Preferences section of the housing application.
Walsh University Residence Life cannot guarantee roommate or suitemate requests. In order for roommate requests to be considered, the request must be mutual between both roommates. All roommate requests must be received by Residence Life no later than July 1st.

How are the residence halls staffed?

In addition to the Residence Life professional staff member that lives in each residence hall, each floor is staffed by trained upperclassman students who are available to assist you in understanding residence hall policy and procedures, becoming involved in programs and activities, and adjusting to college life.

What is a Resident Assistant?

A Resident Assistant is an upper-class undergraduate student responsible for creating and maintaining a positive living environment for the residents of his/her hall and the overall residential community. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, establishing close relationships with residents and staff; planning and implementing educational programs; hall/campus nightly duty coverage; assisting with housing functions; abiding by and reporting violations of policies and procedures; and maintaining an environment which fosters respect, dignity, and collegiality among residents. The R.A. reports directly to the Hall Director.

What is a Campus Ministry Peacemaker?

A Peacemaker is an upper-class undergraduate student who lives in the Freshman residence halls to serve as positive Christian role models. They work hand in hand with the Residence Life staff to promote and live the mission of the university. The program is based from Matthew 5:9, "Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be children of God." These students follow in the footsteps of St. Francis of Assisi, Mother Teresa of Calcutta and others who boldly proclaimed and lived their commitment to Our Lord.

For information about Housing Placement, please contact the Coordinator of University Housing Placements at 330.244.4550.