If you currently reside outside of the U.S.

F-1 Students

Most students at Walsh University enter the United States on an F-1 student visa in order to enroll in a full-time degree program.


To be eligible for and F-1 student visa, students must receive a Form I-20 "Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status" issued by Walsh University. To be eligible to receive an I-20 from Walsh, a student must:

  • Meet the Academic Requirements 
  • Be admitted to Walsh University as a degree-seeking student. Programs that are completely online are not eligible for meeting this requirement
  • Submit a completed "Certification of Financial Responsibility Form".
  • U.S. sponsors of international students will also need to complete the UCIS Form I-134, Affidavit of Support.
  • Submit financial documentation showing that s/he has adequate financial support for at least the first year of the program. Documentation must be no more than 6 months old. Financial documentation must represent liquid assets, i.e., checking or savings accounts. Detailed requirements for financial documentation are listed on the Certification of Financial Responsibility form.
  • Submit a copy of the biographical page(s) of the passport

Once these documents are received, the Admissions Office will issue the I-20 and will notify the student once the I-20 has been prepared.

F-2 Dependents

F-1 students may bring their dependent(s) (spouse and/or children) to the U.S. in F-2 visa status. A spouse in F-2 status may not accept employment in the U.S. or be full-time students. Part-time vocational or recreational study is permitted. F-2 children are permitted to study in elementary and secondary schools. 

For issuing I-20's, additional proof of finances must also be provided for dependents as follows:

  • $4,500 for spouse or other first dependent
  • $2,500 for each additional dependent

If you are currently in the U.S. on an F-1 visa (immigration transfer)

Students who are currently in the U.S. in valid F-1 status and are either studying in their academic program, on Optional Practical Training (OPT), or in the 60-day grace period will need to transfer their SEVIS record to Walsh University before they are eligible to begin their academic program at Walsh University. Instructions on how to transfer to Walsh University, as well as the necessary forms, can be found in the Transfer in packet.

After submitting all of the necessary forms and documents for your transfer, the Admissions office, or International Student Services will issue a "Transfer Pending I-20" and send it to you. Upon your arrival to Walsh University, you must check-in with the ISS and present your immigration documents and "Transfer Pending" I-20. Once you have checked-in and have registered full-time for classes, you will receive a new "Transfer Complete" I-20 verifying your valid F-1 status as a student at Walsh University.

Please remember that your transfer should be completed no later than the deadline. Failure to do so results in the violation of your non-immigrant status.

If you plan to leave the U.S. before attending Walsh University, be sure to get a "Transfer Pending" I-20 before your re-entry so that you may use this form to reenter the country or to apply for a new visa at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy, if necessary.

Note: If you are out of status, you need to discuss reinstatement to valid status with International Student Services. 

If you are currently in the U.S. on another visa (F-2, J-2 or H1b, H-4) and are admitted to Walsh University

If you have J-2, H-1, or H-4 visa status, Walsh University does not require you to change your status to F-1 student status to be enrolled. The only requirement is that you much check-in with International Student Services prior to enrolling in classes. When you check-in, you should bring your immigration documents so that a copy can be made for your file.

If you are in F-2 status and are admitted to a degree program, you will need to change your visa status to F-1 before enrolling at Walsh University.

If you wish to change from your present status to F-1 visa status, please download the information sheet regarding a change of status and contact International Student Services as soon as possible.

Change Level of Study

You were admitted to the United States to complete a specific educational program as reflected on your I-20 or DS-2019. If your academic program will change, it is your responsibility to request an update to your SEVIS record and obtain a new, accurate I-20 or DS-2019. In updating your SEVIS record, International Student Services (ISS) notifies Immigration that you are beginning studies at a new degree level. For example, if you are completing a Bachelor’s degree and will begin a Masters program, your I-20 or DS-2019 must be updated to reflect the correct level of education.


F-1 Students

If you are completing your current degree or finishing your authorized OPT and are admitted to a new, higher degree program at the Walsh University, you must request a change of level update within your 60-day grace period. However, you are not eligible for change of level update if your new program will not begin within 5 months. Contact your ISS adviser with questions about program timelines, document updates and travel issues.

Undergraduate students

If you are a completing a Walsh University Bachelor’s degree (or if you are in your approved OPT period following your Walsh University Bachelor’s degree) and have accepted an offer to begin graduate studies (Master’s) at Walsh University:

  • Inform your ISS adviser of your expected graduation date (or if you are on OPT, your last day of employment).
  • Request a Change of Level I-20 from ISS in your online admissions application process.
  • Warning: if you are currently in your OPT period, remember that your OPT authorization will be cancelled on the first day of the quarter of your graduate program.
  • You will need to provide ISS with the acceptance letter for the new degree level, and new financial documents.
  • Allow 15 business days for ISS processing after your department adviser completes “part 2”
  • If you work on campus, after you receive the updated I-20, contact your payroll coordinator to update your I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form.

J-1 Students

If you are completing your current program objective or finishing your authorized Academic Training and will continue at Walsh University in a higher degree program, you must request an update to your DS-2019. The request must be made to ISS or your program sponsor (listed under section 3 of your DS-2019) before your current program end date (indicated in section 5 of your DS-2019).

Maintaining Valid F-1 Status

When you are admitted to the U.S. in F-1 status, you are authorized to stay for Duration of Status (D/S). This means you may remain in the U.S. as long as you are fulfilling all requirements of the F-1 status as outlined below. You are ultimately responsible for knowing the rules and regulations of your status while in the United States. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact International Student Services at iss@walsh.edu.

  1. Maintain a full course of study. Undergraduates must be enrolled in 12 credits each fall and spring semester, and graduate students must be enrolled in 9 credits each semester. You are not required to enroll in the summer session unless it is your first or last semester. Below Full Time: There are several academic and medical reasons for which you may be permitted to drop below the full course load.
  2. Keep your I-20 valid at all times. If any of the information on your I-20 changes (name, major, program level, funding source, etc.) you must request a new I-20 by completing the Request for New Form I-20. Extension: Your I-20 lists a program end date (item # 5). If you need more time to complete your academic program, you must request a new I-20 before your current I-20 expires.
  3. Keep your passport valid at all times. For information about passport renewal, contact your country's embassy or consulate.
  4. Attend the school listed on your most recent I-20. If you plan to transfer to another university, you must discuss this with the Director of International Student Services.
  5. Work only with authorization. As an F-1 student, you are authorized to work on campus up to 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters, and full time during summer or winter break. You may not work off-campus without authorization from International Student Services (Curricular Practical Training), or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (Optional Practical Training), and Economic Hardship Employment Authorization. (All forms are available for download from the file gallery to the right.)
  6. Report any change of address. You are required to report a new change of address within 10 days of moving. This means your physical address (residence hall room number), not just your campus mailbox. To report a new address, add any new information please inform International Programs and Services.
  7. Report any change of major. You are required to report a new change of major immediately to International Student Services. It is important for you to check with your sponsor before changing the major. It is important to confirm that they will still provide financial assistance for the new major. Once you report this to Student Services and International Student Services, and new I-20 will be issued. You must fill out the Request for a new I-20 form
  8. If you are planning to travel outside the U.S., your I-20 must be signed by the Director of International Student Services or another Designated School Official (DSO) before traveling. The travel endorsement is located on page 3 of your I-20 and is valid for one year from the date of signature. For more information about documents needed for travel, click here.
  9. Maintain health insurance during your entire course of study. Walsh University requires all international students to have health coverage meeting minimum requirements. (Information about Walsh University's health insurance is available from the file gallery to the right.)
  10. File Tax Forms by the deadline each year. Even if you did not have any income, you must complete Form 8843. If you did receive income, you must file additional tax return forms. You will receive information about taxes during the spring semester.
  11. Obey all U.S. laws. You must also follow all Walsh University policies and regulations.
  12. Do not accept federal, state, or local aid. You may not accept Medicaid, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, or other forms of government financial assistance. If you are unsure about whether or not you can accept the aid, check with International Programs and Services.
  13. Do not overstay your grace period. Upon completion of your academic program, you may remain in the U.S. for a 60 day "grace period." During this time you may begin Optional Practical Training or prepare to leave the U.S. If you are planning to transfer to a new university or begin a new academic program at Walsh, you must discuss this with the Director of International Student Services before your grace period expires.