Federal Direct Stafford Loan (Subsidized and Unsubsidized)

Students must first file a FAFSA to be considered for a Direct Stafford Loan. Undergraduate loans are available either on a subsidized or unsubsidized basis and are borrowed directly from the federal government. The subsidized loan is based on financial need with the federal government paying interest while the student is in school. The unsubsidized loan is not based on need, and interest accrues on the loan while the student is in school.

Federal Parent Loan to Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

A PLUS Loan is a loan parents of dependent students borrow for educational expenses. This loan is in the parent’s name and requires a credit check. The electronic application and additional information is available through StudentAid.gov

Nursing Education Assistance Loan Program (NEALP)

Loans are available on a limited basis to nursing students through the State of Ohio. The applicant must be an Ohio resident and a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen. A FAFSA application is required in addition to a NEALP application, available online at OhioHigherEd. Twenty percent of the loan is forgivable with each year of service in the nursing profession, with a maximum forgiveness of 100% after five years of service.

Outside Scholarships

  • An outside scholarship is any scholarship not awarded from the school or government. Outside scholarships are considered part of your financial package, meaning that they may reduce your overall financial aid package to avoid over awarding.
  • Outside scholarship opportunities may be available from your parent's employer, high school, local country philanthropies, churches or club organizations.
  • If you have any outside scholarships, please make sure the Financial Aid office (or your Admissions Counselor if you are an incoming student) is made aware of the amount and/or given the funds to apply towards your account.
  • There are free online scholarship services such as fastweb.com that matches a student's characteristics against a large database of scholarships. Before you apply, make sure that the scholarship source is legitimate.

Alternative Loans

  • Alternative Loans are private non-need-based loans students may borrow to help pay for educational expenses. Although these loans are "above and beyond" what is awarded by the University, the school must certify that the loan, along with the student's other financial aid, does not exceed the cost of attendance.
  • Students are the borrowers with alternative loans, although the vast majority of applications require a co-signer. There are also some alternative loan options for parents.
    (Note: It is usually best to wait until a student has been awarded his/her other financial aid before applying for an alternative loan - this way, you will have a better idea of how much to request.)

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

The Federal Work-Study Program provides jobs for students who have substantial financial need as determined by the FAFSA. Students work on a part-time basis on campus and receive a monthly paycheck, dependent on the number of hours worked. Work-study is awarded based on availability of funds, the student’s need, and other financial aid eligibility.